the Light of Argus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last names and you

5 posters

Go down

Last names and you Empty Last names and you

Post  Avaali Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:34 am

When it comes to Draenei and last names, I've heard a lot of differing opinions. Not to the point of the age discussion, but still loads of different ways of thinking.
Personally, my view of Draenic last names have always been the following: Draenei don't have last names like humans do, and in fact rarely do at all. A Draenei can choose a last name by him/herself, but will otherwise not have one.
Am I right or wrong in this assumption, and have I missed something perhaps that can expand on this in any way?
Avaali
Avaali

Back to top Go down

Last names and you Empty Re: Last names and you

Post  Sulaya Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:26 pm

I've read several things about it, also on this forum, and the overall thought is that they don't usually have surnames, but sometimes they take a surname like 'of a city' or something, like I think there's an NPC in the Exodar who has a city as last name. But you can read more about that in this same forum.
Sulaya
Sulaya

http://www.ontourlb.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:42 pm

I have not seen any "classic" surnames either. (that is family names)
Personally I like the idea that they don't use them.

But titles of any form I see no reason to not using if you want.
Such as "of <something>" works in many cases, just like "of <city>" you can have "of <anyting>" like: of the lightforge, of the hammer, of the crystalsteel etc.
But then it would be prudent to have a back story to why your char use that title.
An ancient Oder now gone.
You are a blacksmith skilled in crystal/light forging.
Or " of Crystalsteel" could work on my Valos since he often use a crystal infused armor and his appearance have given him a name.

Or in the past you earned it. Such a title does not need to be "official".
You can have done something, anything, that gave you an extra name within the population due to your reputation.
Such a name could be like: the one eyed, the crook nosed, longtail, true tongue, forked tongue or the limb.
If you claim that your surname was giving by the population any adjective or personality trait that describes your char can be worked into a "surename/title"

Ofc none of this is cut in stone, all you need to use a family name is a story where you char has grown up outside the major dreanei civilization.
Somewhere that does not exist in game like a part of dreanor now lost in the nether.

Interesting side note:
In Iceland there was an old tradition that your fathers name was added to your family name for every generation.
There are therefore a few individuals who's real surname is more then ten names long tracing back beyond the dark ages.
And it was a matter of pride to be able to remember the complete name.
For practical reasons it is not used officially anymore.
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Senra Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi!
Lovely topic to start a discussion about Avaali Wink It's something most people either have a opinion about, or just don't know. Although I am more a fan of titels or funny nicknames.

Surnames and draenei have been an interesting matter, which I love to discuss about. My personal opinion is that basically you can do what you want. Which is exactly what I did with Senra. She has both a title (farseer) as a surname (Stormfury, rarely used). The surname has a story behind it, which is somewhere on the forum.

When you look around at the draenei npc's most have a surname of a city (Jeserra of Mac'Aree) or something relalted to their profession (Peacekeeper Bob or something). This is a easy option which does not require a long story. That a warrior in big shiny plate is a peacekeeper can be quite logical. Also my favorite, when you say your name people imidiately know what your class or profession is, great way to start a conversation.

But I can also understand that some draenei would use house names. Since the Light is quite big among the squids it sounds logical to me that one would use the name of a priesthood as a housename. A sort of housename related to the Light. Or a high ranked house of Arcanists or Vindicators. ALthough not used alot, it does make sense to me.

When I want a name for one of my draenei charracter (I have about 5) I look at what I want with the charracter. Then I chose either a title that excists in-game, such as Farseer. Or I add something new, such as a selfmade housename or a story behind a surname.

All my personal opinions and idea's. Lots of idea's. Enough idea's for a dozen more charracters! Mind going crazy :S

Greets,
Sen.
Senra
Senra

Back to top Go down

Post  XK Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:49 am

I don't remember any Draenei NPCs having anything resembling a last name, so they probable don't use them. If forced to adopt one due to human/humanoid paperwork, I bet most of them use just "job" title (Vindicator, Anchorite, Exarch etc.) as a last name, or just plainly say "the Draenei", or "of X". In one character sheet for Xarthat, I named him "Xarthat H'Xiaan", the last thing being meant to be "of Xiaan" in Eredun (Xiaan being his city of origin).

XK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum