the Light of Argus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is up with the squidface, really?

3 posters

Go down

What is up with the squidface, really? Empty What is up with the squidface, really?

Post  Grimsain Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:30 am

Hello.

I was in the process of writing when it struck me.
The Dreanei tentacles on their faces, what exactly are those?
I have not been looking around on Blizzard pages or other forums, there might be answers or theories.
But as far as I know we have not spooked about it here.

Do they serve a purpose?
Like:
Are they sensory organs like animal whiskers? More like some lizard/fish extremities maybe, but anyway.
And if so what do they detect? Magic? Something else? Sounds? (I like the magic detection idea myself)
Or are they like softer versions of their horns?
Do they have muscular structure, that is can a dreanei move them at will or not?
(It would make them kinda creepy if they could move them, like Zoidberg. Imagine dreanei kissing and the faces them self embrace each other with slithering tentacles)
Are the like hairs? Do they grow? Do they regrow if cut of?
What is the story behind jewelry?
If they detect magic is the jewelry magical items that help or is it only for show?
Do the different kinds of tentacles indicate different origins like subspecies?
I know the barbershop can change them, but can they be change IC? (I would say no)
If yes, do they need to be groomed? what would a poorly groomed squidface look like? Big long thick once growing beside thinner small once?

Well, anyway.
I was in the middle of working on The drums of Ashenvale when this hit me.

Any thoughts? Either to facts from blizzard or suggestions as to what could be.
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

What is up with the squidface, really? Empty Re: What is up with the squidface, really?

Post  Manala Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:42 am

Well, going into evolution-ish territory here:

The face tentacles are -far- more pronounced on the males than on females, so I doubt they serve any sensory purpose- or if they once did, the Draenei have evolved past it and they're simply a vestigial feature at this point.

I doubt they can be groomed or altered in any way, although the skin on them is probably quite soft, and requires some care to stop it cracking or drying out. They can probably be pierced quite safely if you know what you're doing.

Pulling on them probably hurts a fair amount, and if you touch Mana's without permission (good luck getting it, too) she'll almost certainly punch you in the face. Hard. And she won't take off her plate gauntlet to do so.

Perhaps they served (or serve) as a secondary sexual feature on males to signify 'desirable genes' the same way that male birds flash their plumage.

They probably don't move -too- much (feel free to disagree with me on this), certainly not agile or strong enough to hold tools or weapons, but I imagine that they possess some sort of reflex tied to emotional responses. They'll stiffen in shock, shiver with happiness or twitch when their owner is angry.

Just my thoughts on 'em.
Manala
Manala

Back to top Go down

What is up with the squidface, really? Empty Re: What is up with the squidface, really?

Post  Nataari Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Oooh, I completely missed this thread Grimsain! Made me laugh on a gloomy monday afternoon yesterday, and certainly wanna throw some coppers in. Actually I do find the tendril-topic indeed quite interesting!

Haha, since we have no lore whatsoever, I guess its up to everyones own interpretation, but I think a few facts can be at least derived from RL biology
To start with, in most points I do share Manalas opinion above

About function and origin -
I don't believe they have any other function these days.. Just because some Draenei have prominent tendrils, some not at all, and the latter don't seem to miss out on anything! I'd think that they once had some kind of purpose in the long distance past of the race's evolution, which however became rather meaningless to the modern-day Draenei (same like humans and fur). Whats left is just a sexual characteristic between the males and females.
I'm pretty sure that males tendrils are considered attractive for a Draenei female - I'd imagine that like with beards and haircolours for humans, theres also different tastes when it comes to tendril sizes and shapes (it might not be the main reason for choosing a partner, but contributes to his subjective attractiveness - same like one human girl might swoon for black-haired men, or a Draenei man might adore a Draenei woman's unique horn shape Wink )

From as far as I remember, the only ingame reference towards the face tentacles is the male flirt:
"My face appendixes quiver in anticipation of seeing you!" (or something along the lines Smile )
So can very well be that they can betray the bearers feelings to a certain degree, or that there are sayings around the tendrils for certain moodsets Smile I like to believe that this 'pick up line', which sounds funny to us, would be very charming to the Draenei at who it's directed at!

Assuming from ingame-behaviour of the tentacles (how they sway passively from side to side when the Draenei turns his or her head) I do not think they contain muscle mass, aka are not movable on their own. However, I would imagine that their skin is rather soft to touch there, same like the skin on the face

I actually love to include Draenic details, like tails, tendrils, horns and headplates in RP - eventhough it is mostly personal interpretation for most people, but it always makes for a fun pun:
Nataari for example, when in thought, tends to tug her own tendrils, or plays with them when nervous. When with Perforad, she would stroke his tendrils, as a human woman would stroke her man's cheek as a gentle gesture.
My ex-boyfriend played a Draenei warrior who had no face tendrils at all, and occasionally slipped into his RP how self-conscious he was about that! (You know what they say about males without face-tendrils.. Wink )

Oh, about the copper / brass rings Draenei use to adorn their face tendrils, I have a theory of my own - maybe they are used to stretch them a little? Same as some RL human tribal cultures would stretch their ear-lobes with weights. This would actually mean that long face-tendrils would be a ideal of beauty for both Draenei men and women Smile (long and elegant ones for the ladies, and large long bulky ones, emphasized by jewellery, for the men)
Nataari
Nataari
Admin

http://lightofargus.wowrpg.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum