the Light of Argus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gombrilla's application

+3
Perforad
Grimsain
Gombrilla
7 posters

Go down

Gombrilla's application Empty Gombrilla's application

Post  Gombrilla Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Character name:

Gombrilla

Character description:

Gombrilla is a former servant of the Lich King who has escaped from his command. It all began when she was born in the Temple of Telhamat. Her parents realized she was different. As she gained consience, she understood she could feel other people's blood. As if it was her own, as if she could almost manipulate it. But she hid that power from everyone, it was her secret.

Anyway, a few years later, when she was still very young,her parents decided it was time. They, as almost every Draenei, were followers of the Light, and so they wanted their daughter to learn its ways. At first they thought it was because she was still very young, but as she grew up they became worried that she didn't show any interest in going through the way of Light. She was too arrogant and selfish. Until one day she ran away.

She became a powerful warrior, fearing nothing and fighting mercilessly in her dangerous life. She had the feeling that she had been born to do it, and nothing could stop her. Seeking more and more power, one day the ultimate opportunity came.

She met an old man, scars all over his face, who told her there was an army on the make, an army reserved only for the bravest warriors. She, blinded by her greed and ignorance, joined the ranks of Artha's army as a knight of pain and suffering, a Death Knight. She barely knew how much she would regret leaving home and meeting that old man.

Long time passed while she was serving her new master's orders. Until one day came and she realized that nothing there was what she was really seeing. Their blood, it was like if it was dead. And not only theirs, she could barely feel hers. And suddenly... all made sense! While there, she was forced to do many bad things, slowly crippling her soul, all for a "greater purpose". She just didn't know that purpose was to destroy happiness, free-will and life. And she decided to escape. She remembered her very first teachings, about undead creatures and how to deal with them. All she can remember after is light, floating in the air and passing out. She felt her blood again.

Today she tries to do what's right, because she believes everything she has done wrong can be forgiven and she can have her soul back. Since that day she flew away from the scourge until now, she tried but failed to use the Light again. She is still to discover how she did it.

Loyalities:

After returning from the darkness, she swore loyalty to Velen, although he hasn't forgiven her yet.

Why are you interested joining Light of Argus?

IC - Gombrilla wants help finding the Light and hopes together with another Draenei she will be blessed.

OOC - Hello. I am not very experienced in RP, mainly because I moved to this server not long ago and in the server I was before there was no RP at all. Although, I started learning more and more about it and in fact I like it a lot. In Light of Argus I hope I can find a group of people who enjoy RP as much as I do and want to have fun playing this game as they want. By the way, sorry for the bad english, I'm portuguese. And sorry for the long description, I like writing Smile
Gombrilla
Gombrilla

Back to top Go down

Gombrilla's application Empty Re: Gombrilla's application

Post  Grimsain Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Hey

Firstly I am not an officer, only interested.
Thus my views have little to no effect on you application.

However if I understand you correctly your char:
Was born on Dreanor (outland, tempel of thelhamat) Before the burning legions corruption of the orcs.
She was "tainted" from birth by bloodmagic, her parents refusing or unable to see it. (not strange since they probly wouldnt know what it was)
When her studies in the ways of the light failed she ran off and lived as a mercenary.
Her price was gold and the thrill of the fight.
At some point after the portal was open she entered Azeroth to seek more fortune and blood/battle honor.
She met an agent of Arthas who recruited her to the undead army as a willing solider.
(that is she never died to be risen as an undead and thereby is one of the rare living deathknights)
Her will was suppressed more or less by her own choice until she realized what was going on and broke with her master.
Today she is plagued with guilt over all the evil she has caused and use her understanding in blood to redeem herself.
Ultimately she is seeking a way back into the grace of the light.

A quite interesting story.

And you have quite a bit of background you can add to your char if you ever feel like it.
What did she do during the two wars the orcs and demons fought in Azenroth and Draenor?
Where she hired as a mercenary in the orcish horde?
Did she enter the portal with them in the first war? The humans would probably have seen her as some form of demon the orcs summoned.
Where was she when Dreanor was destroyed?
Did she get stuck on Azeroth when the portal was closed the second time and lived in hiding
If so she could have been recruited by the cult of the damned at a very early stage in the creation of the scourge.
She could have gained her freedom from the lich king when Illidan tried to bring down the frozen throne, when Sylvanas gain her freedom.

Anyway, with the idea you had you can bring it to quite a deep storyline.
Fun!
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Perforad Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi!

First of all.. I am an officer *winks at Grimsain*
But I can only mirror all that Grim said. It is an interesting and unique background but we do have some questions which Grim wrote down greatly.

We would like to hear your answers to the questions Grim wrote down. This is nothing especially personal, but we as a guild are cautious when it comes to recruiting Deathknights. It is really hard to roleplay a Draenei DK truly good and it is a big challenge for any roleplayer. I feel you are on the right track but please take time to look at Grim's questions and answer them if possible.

Looking forward to your reply!
Perforad
Perforad

Back to top Go down

Post  Senra Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Hello there!

First of all, welcome to Moonglade!
That is a very interesting application. A living deathknight is something very rare. And Grim here is a fan of it it seems Smile He may be able to help you with some fact, as he knows quit abit about it.
A deathknight who is not dead, and follows the Light is very interesting. And I mean that in a positieve way. There can be a great story behind it, and I am very curious about it! If you don't have a story for that yet, don't worry Smile

Greets,
Senra.
Senra
Senra

Back to top Go down

Post  Gombrilla Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:57 am

Her parents were killed by the corrupted orcs during the shattering of Draenor. As soon as the Burning Legion's forces opened the portal to Azeroth she managed to go through it and refuged in the Eastern Kingdoms with some other Draenei. She found Azeroth's natives to be kind generous people, and alongside humans she fought the orcs back to Outlands. Until one day an agent of the Lich King spotted her fighting.
The old man who recruited her is Diodor the Damned, a founding member of the Cult of the Damned, but she still doesn't know who he is. She gained her freedom from the scourge not long after she joined it, about two or three years after she was illuded into it. When she passed out fleeing away, she remained unconscious for very long and she hasn't realised it yet.
Gombrilla
Gombrilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Antadurunnu Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:54 am

I'm just slightly confused as to why, when demons/orcs/blargh attacking azeroth the native races wouldn't of just considered any stray Draenei as Eredar and therefore evil demons that need killing. A random draenei while alone would be odd, A whole ship full of them not so easy to purge in holy fire so to speak.

I could be talking complete rubbish, which isn't new.

*shrugs*
Antadurunnu
Antadurunnu

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:29 am

Antadurunnu wrote:I'm just slightly confused as to why, when demons/orcs/blargh attacking azeroth the native races wouldn't of just considered any stray Draenei as Eredar and therefore evil demons that need killing. A random draenei while alone would be odd, A whole ship full of them not so easy to purge in holy fire so to speak.

Consider this:
The first two times the portal from Dreanor to Azeroth was opened it was to invade.
There where shortly thousands of orcs, a large number of warlocks and quite a few demons on both sides of the gate.
I would think that the only way to enter the portal at this time, would be as a mercenary to the orchis Horde.
And since every single creature that poured out of that swamp in the first two confrontations where hostile.
The alliance of races who fought them back would not have stopped to find out if blue skinned, hoofed, warrior creature or creatures, wielding the same dark magic where actually not demons before they cut them into pieces.
However, a warrior seeking true honor would find little in the demonically fueled bloodlust of the horde and might desert their employer.

Also, a dreanei entering Azeroth alone and in the middle of a war would probably find the human alliance almost as primitive as the orcs.
The enemy of of my enemy is not necessarily my friend.

Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Antadurunnu Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:17 am

''She found Azeroth's natives to be kind generous people, and alongside humans she fought the orcs back to Outlands.''
Antadurunnu
Antadurunnu

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:23 am

Gombrilla wrote:Her parents were killed by the corrupted orcs during the shattering of Draenor. As soon as the Burning Legion's forces opened the portal to Azeroth she managed to go through it and refuged in the Eastern Kingdoms with some other Draenei. She found Azeroth's natives to be kind generous people, and alongside humans she fought the orcs back to Outlands. Until one day an agent of the Lich King spotted her fighting.
The old man who recruited her is Diodor the Damned, a founding member of the Cult of the Damned, but she still doesn't know who he is. She gained her freedom from the scourge not long after she joined it, about two or three years after she was illuded into it. When she passed out fleeing away, she remained unconscious for very long and she hasn't realised it yet.

A few tips.
She would most likely not find the races of Azeroth very friendly at this stage in history.
Any human or elf would probably consider her a monster brought into this world by demon worshiping orcs.
But if you want some human family to protect your char you can easily build a story like say:

The day she decided to desert the Horde she was in/leading a company of orcs.
They came across a manor of some sort, most likely somewhere in what is now called duskwood.
The orcs driven by their bloodlust charge defenseless women, old folk and childern.
This is the first time Gombrilla sees the true side of the horde outside the battlefield.
Enraged she slaughter her fellow warrior orcs in front of the horrified eyes of the humans.
But she is hurt and when she wakes up find that the humans helped her.
The family who, since they are fairly wealthy have the resources to do so, hide her until the day many years later she comes in contact with Diodor who tricks her to surrender her will to the scourge.

Time: (since you brought it up)
Now time is a rather complicated subject.
But IC time the first portal was opened 32 years ago, the 2nd portal was opened 25 years ago.
A lot of time to be spent in hiding but far from impossible.

Now at what point she was picked up by the cult of the damned might be hard to pinpoint.
But after maybe ten years in hiding she would probably be itching to use her blade.
And later on she had a "window" to break with the will of the lich king six years ago when he was weak. Thereby parting with the scourge before the ebon knights.
(unless you want to create a reason of your own, but the lich kings will was strong enough to bind dead dragons and entire armies with ease so that reason better be good)
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gombrilla Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:49 am

Damn, you are good Smile

Well, I'll take a few words (maybe not so few) from what you said and here goes:

Gombrilla didn't know anything of her parents and friends from back home since she left. She heard the orcs were planning an invasion on Azeroth and, eager for battle, she joined their ranks. She became known there for her skills with swords (much due to her enemy's blood manipulation, but that was something only she was aware of). She was made commander of a small group of orcs who should venture into the Redridge Mountains and occupy its main outpost. When she got to what's today Lakeshire, she found absolutely no defense so she ordered her soldiers not to attack. But the orcs, with their corrupted minds, started rushing in slaying everything in their path. As she saw they murder little children who were playing by the lake, she realised how evil they were and decided to kill them before they could harm any more. The fight was not easy, and she ended victorious but crippled. Grateful for her assistance, the humans took care of her and provided her a place to stay and hide until the war was over.

She remained hidden for many years, living a peaceful life in Lakeshire, keeping a low profile to stay unknown. But she missed her sword, she missed it a lot. Then Diodorcame to her, who was on his way trough Redridge and sensed Gombrilla's power, and she finnaly got the opportunity she was waiting for so long.
Gombrilla
Gombrilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Nataari Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:15 am

Hello there

Wow, first thanks a lot for the application - that kind of developed a life on its own as I see, thanks to Grimsain Wink
Let me first say up ahead - I hope you don't feel we are too fussy about little details. Fact is just - in Light of Argus we do have some strong DK restrictions for serveral reasons, and generally speaking, only take in DKs in exceptional cases - like a very good convincing application

Your application is very nicely written and gives me a good impression about you. However, the background does ring all a bit weird to me. Even the explanation our guildies bring up in the thread. A Draenei running away and become a mercenary in the fel orc army - ehh well.Riiiight. Thats very far fetched considering every Draenei was dead meat on sight to the Fel Orcs. Do not forget they commited a genoicide, wiping out a large part of the Draenic race. What did your char do, slaying Draenei happily alongside her fel Orc buddies?

See, my issue here is..
I'm pretty sure you can find another explanation how she got to Azeroth even without the orc thingy. However, what I am pondering -
Draenei are special
DKs are very rare and special
Why going down the road and creating some super-special living renegade bad-turned good bloodmanipulating exot Draenei? Especially as RP beginner and when interested to explore some Draenei RP in a racial guild?
Don't get me wrong, we are not too fussy and gladly take in beginners, also with incomplete backgrounds - we all started once and are also happy to give hints and tips if there are questions. We however wanna make sure wether a char fits the general theme of the guild

Either way, we'll poke you in the next days for a little chat, okies?

BR
Nataari
Nataari
Nataari
Admin

http://lightofargus.wowrpg.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:59 am

The story is not that strange. Original but not far fetched.

At the time the first portal was opened the Burning legion had full control over Dreanor.
And many Eredar where already in the legions ranks. So the orcs would not be a stranger to an "evil dreanei".
Sure they are not part of the original story. But TBC changed all that. Blizzard rewrote everything.
Leaving plotholes the size of planets, thus a lot of confusion.

As to the mercenary part.
Dreanor was a big planet with many races and diffrent orc clans, the dreanei might not fight eachother, but the others sure did.
Any leader would be fools to turn down a strong sword for the price of a few gold pieces in a time of need.
And a warrior with powers fueled by blood magic would sure be a strong one at that point.
As for the slaying other Dreanei, they most likely shunned her, and other Eredar has done far worse then been payed to fight.

With a storyline like this Grombrilla would not really be a deathknght, more a Warrior-Bloodknight.
I must say its far less weird then wandering corpses in the middle of a "Holy race City".

However Nat, you do have a point.
To build such an original story as a first char might be hard to play well.
The upside would be that IC LOA might sense a lot of anger in her, but they would not necessarily know she was under the lich kings control.
Or even see her as anything but a warrior who tries to find the right path.
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gombrilla Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:33 am

She enlisted in the burning legion's army while living isolated from all other draenei, and while there she didn't fought any draenei or even meet one, if that's plausible eheh

Anyway, the reason why I wanted to make a Draenei DK is because in my opinion, Draenei are one of the purest races in Azeroth, and being a Death Knight goes against that, so she now would try to redeem herself. But I do understand it's complex and farfetched, especcialy for me as a begginer.

Thanks for the tips and comments by the way, you were all very cool.
I got more insight on how to RP a Draenei now Smile
Gombrilla
Gombrilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:27 am

To isolate her from other Dreanei would not be to difficult.
The hardest part would be to explain why she would join the army that close to exterminated her people.
That they excluded her for not being in contact with the light would not be enough for her to simply forget about it and join them for the gold.
But there are numbers of different events that could have happened to her before the big overturning events in the Orc-dreanei war on Dreanor.

If you still want to go through with this rather complicated storyline, and if our officers feel it OK to bring you in I gladly help you out.
(then again, I see no reason to stop helping you out even if they don't, but then we might want to move it out of this forum)
My first tip in acting IC would but that you char "pretends" to be a "warrior or solider" and does not speak to much of her past.
She would rather speak of her future, her search for a righteous path.
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gombrilla Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:42 am

Actually I had thought about it so I have a question: does everyone (IC) know what class you are?

Thanks for the help Grimsain!
Gombrilla
Gombrilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:04 am

No, no one are able to tell what class you are unless you tell/show them.
They dont know your name or title either. They might know your guild if you use the guild tabard.
Undead deathknights who don't hide that they are wandering corpses are not that hard to figure out what they are.
But that is all.
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Manala Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:05 am

Gombrilla wrote:Actually I had thought about it so I have a question: does everyone (IC) know what class you are?

A little late, but only if you make it obvious. DKs have glowing eyes and are varying degrees of undead, so they can't really hide their nature. But if a Draenei wears a mail kilt, has sparkly glowing chainmail shoulders and a staff (or a pair of axes), it's reasonable to assume that s/he is a Shaman. A high-powered rifle and an animal companion, a Hunter. If you openly display the common trappings of a certain class, it's likely that people will assume you're that class. Of course, a fearsome Warrior is perfectly capable of wearing a chainmail kilt and a pair of axes, and people may mistake her for a Shaman. A Vindicator may wear a cloth robe and a pointy hat to a Hallow's End party and be mistaken for a mage. It's people's IC perceptions at the time- first impressions and so on.
Manala
Manala

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Kimbalin wrote:
A little late, but only if you make it obvious. DKs have glowing eyes and are varying degrees of undead, so they can't really hide their nature. But if a Draenei wears a mail kilt, has sparkly glowing chainmail shoulders and a staff (or a pair of axes), it's reasonable to assume that s/he is a Shaman. A high-powered rifle and an animal companion, a Hunter. If you openly display the common trappings of a certain class, it's likely that people will assume you're that class. Of course, a fearsome Warrior is perfectly capable of wearing a chainmail kilt and a pair of axes, and people may mistake her for a Shaman. A Vindicator may wear a cloth robe and a pointy hat to a Hallow's End party and be mistaken for a mage. It's people's IC perceptions at the time- first impressions and so on.

You are thinking ooc and in-game terms.
What we see in game and what we see in our minds don't need to be the same.

A deathknight must not be undead, they can be alive and their eyes don't necessarily need to be glowing.
Just like all Dreaneis tails are not identically long.
And anyone could use any gear or weapons IC, now if they are any good with them is an other matter.
However in game there are only plate users who can use all armor visually. And Warriors who can use all weapons.
But in the /g channel and the RP-mods anyone can carry anything. Why not?
Is there some spell in place making a druid repel heavy armor?
No, but metals might be hard to shapeshift, therefor druids choose leather before the heavy armor.
A sorcerer probably wouldn't bother with mail or plate, but he can always tell a story where he tried it out.
All hunters don't have animals following them around. You can have a story where you are a marksman or a ranger and not use your pet IC.
(That is what I plan to do with my human hunter once cata comes. A simple solider part of the human archery ranks.)
But even if someone has a pet, why does this person need to be a hunter?
Unless you ask, he or she can simply be a a stablemaster moving an animal for a client, or its a rare animal someone caught and are bringing to the market.

Also, the only reason everyone you meet and speak to is a hero is because no one wants to play a farmer for 80 levels.
IC the wast majority of people you meet are not shamans paladins and wizards, they are simple folk traders, workers, city guards or maybe a few diplomats.
Unless you char has taken a special interest in learning the ways of different styles of battle, (aka classes) and ways of recognizing them he would never takea shaman for a shaman because he wears chain mail and two axes.

For exampel:
If you ever meet my gnome mage, he will hide his magic abilities, anyone sensitive to magic would not sense it.
(unless they ask in a /w and have a good/fun reason to)
He will claim to be a simple historian in a gnomish collaboration who has never seen battle and only carry a walking stick to help support his old body.
If you get to know him as a few people have he has quite a few stories to tell. But that is what makes hours of RP fun. At least to me.

Now finally, to make things clear everything is not not cut in stone.
A world populated by only heroes where everyone can tell what you are by looking at you, makes no sense to me.
But if you want to play like that, who am I convince you into thinking my way?
Everyone will do what they think is fun, and they should.

Last edited by Grimsain on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Nataari Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:23 pm

To clear our stance here from our guilds view and cut it short - as Kimbalin stated, it is quite certain to go for the 'you see what you see rule. Assume the other one is a warrior, if he stands before you in full armor and with a big sword in hands. If the same person wears a dress, you probably won't be able to tell.
Same way, you don't necessarily have to RP as the class you choose. You can roll a warrior, and RP him as a cook if you like.

However Death Knights are a different thing. Grimsain may argue 'It's all a matter of definition', however if you choose to be a DK - you look like a corpse. You cannot ask of everybody who encounters you in public RP to treat you as a living person, if you pick the one class that clearly doesn't look like it.
In Light of Argus we do not accept DKs who claim not to be DKs ICly. if you don't want to RP as a DK, pick another class
Nataari
Nataari
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Admin wrote:
However Death Knights are a different thing. Grimsain may argue 'It's all a matter of definition', however if you choose to be a DK - you look like a corpse. You cannot ask of everybody who encounters you in public RP to treat you as a living person, if you pick the one class that clearly doesn't look like it.
In Light of Argus we do not accept DKs who claim not to be DKs ICly. if you don't want to RP as a DK, pick another class

Tank you Nat, i should have thought about adding the guilds views myself there really.
They are quite clear and where I to make a dreanei deathknight to have in LoA I would follow them.

But if we are to speak of what your char actually look like and for the sake of, well the truth.
I must point out that if you made a DK look like a corpse, then yes, you look like a corpse.
But as to skin color and any other visible feature except your standard saronite set (a dead give away since it kinda the ebon knight uniform) and the eyes its perfectly possible to make a deathknight who does not look like a wandering dead.
The eyes and gear would be the only way too actually see it in game.
Gear you can change and the blade you can use IC don't need to be an enchanted runeblade.
If you can add prominent fangs, change the length of your tail and modify your height.
Why would a deathknight not be able to "dim down" his/her eyes?
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Nataari Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:13 pm

I see your point, Grimsain, however I explained the guilds stance about it already. We do have restrictions about DKs within this guild, and we won't accept a ((is IC no DK!!)) for serveral reasons which I am happy to elaborate elsewhere or to the recruit himself should he wishes to ask

If you wanna keep on this duscussion about the why and why not, I'd recommend to take it to another forum section though, rather than making your point in a recruitment topic.
Nataari
Nataari
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down