the Light of Argus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Application - Mendalan

4 posters

Go down

Application - Mendalan Empty Application - Mendalan

Post  Mendalan Thu May 26, 2011 3:28 am

Character name: Mendalan

Character description:
(who is he/she and what has he done before?)

Since I'm a mite lazy, I'll copy what I have written in his MRP, and use that as a stepping-stone to go a bit more in-depth.
With the taut, well-built physique that is common with the Draenei, Mendalan is an indistuingishable member of his people. Bereft of novelty scars, vain traits or anything that might suggest he is anything but ordinary, Mendalan is humble and meek in his demeanor. While his stride and gait is one of discipline - carrying himself with a graceful balance - he doesn't appear to be one for vanity, as his mundane appearance and fair complexion might suggest.

Mendalan was raised in a family of warriors. I use that term liberally, and I'll explain why. Mendalan was a child by Draenic reckoning when they were lectured on the doctrine of the Light, and bestowed its gifts and powers by the Naaru. While his family naturally adhered to the beliefs - as all Draenei singularly did! - the head of the family, the father, shared his sentiment that the Light should not be abused and usurped for the means of violence and savagery. It was too pure, too great, undiluted and flawless: to taint such powers with warfare was not something he personally approved of(though he would not mock or shame others - Vindicators, obviously - for thinking differently and embracing their newfound gift). This belief was inspired in all members of the family, including Mendalan.

Naturally inquisitive, brimming with wanderlust, introverted, self-effacing and painfully formal and tolerant of others(perhaps save orcs), Mendalan's virtues are admittedly many. He is accounted as venerable(at least I think, curse Blizzard's ambivalent stance upon aging!) by his people, and while none of his deeds are worthy of song and poetry, he has served alongside his people to a respectable degree. While he is adamant in the belief that his people are not suited for war, once he partakes in it, he thrives in it. He enjoyed the brief respite from the Draenei's refuge upon the swathing, verdant planes of Draenor -- even going to great extent to make friend with the orcs whom the Draenei regularly traded with. When the orcs embraced the fel powers from the Burning Legion, and the subsequent atrocities against the Draenei people were made, Mendalan coveted a deep-seated resentment and grudge against the orcs, and vowed to exact vengeance upon them.

After the crash-landing upon Azeroth, Mendalan was unfortunate enough to lose his sister - the only remaining family member he had - and in recklessness, sought to seek her out. He did what little he could to aid those who had scattered across the islands, but made haste as he went in search for his sister. As a result, he is inclined to off-handedly claim to know every crook and avenue of Azeroth(realistically, he is far from the truth!). The time of his search lasted up until the Cataclysm, wherein he forfeited any hope of recovering his lost sister. While he has endeavored to stay up-to-date in terms of the plights of his people, the war between the Alliance and the Horde - and all between; Kael'thas, Illidan, Arthas and so on - it is safe to say that he remains a bit more ignorant than he would prefer.

Now detached from his people, bereft of the emotional rock of having a close-knit family, Mendalan wishes to reunite with his people as a whole and extend his gratitude towards the Alliance for taking them in a dire time of need, and ultimately carve a the Draenei a destiny in which they may live in peace.

Loyalities:
(What is he thinking about Velen and the Naaru, or which fraction is he loyal to?)

While he has, as you can say, abdicated from the Draenei for the time they have spent upon Azeroth, he has always done his best to play the role of a proper Samaritan upon his travels. He reveres the Naaru as much as any other Draenei, though he refuses to use any of its powers - a part of his self-deprecated view of himself, claiming he would not conjure the powers of the Light with skill to do it justice(O.O brilliant sentence I just made).

Of Velen, he professes utter devotion and admiration. He deeply respects Velen's service towards the elves by restoring, or ridding them, of their unslaked thirst for magic.

Why are you interested joining Light of Argus?
(IC and OOC)

IC: Simply enough, Mendalan wishes to reingratiate himself within the Draenei faction, and the Alliance. In lieu with this, he also desires to reform some vestige of a sense of family, and he seeks out other like-minded of his own kind to do so.

OOC: After an extensive process of scrutinizing the various guilds that might suit and accommodate my Draenei, Light of Argus was always the main guild in view. As I said to Senra, one of your officers, you seem to be the "caterpillar to Draenei RP on Moonglade." After hearing about some of the storylines you have been conducting in the past - and currently are conducting - some of my initials doubts I had were reassured: inflation of "toothless and lack of gritty, visceral and serious RP in particular, I was promptly redirected to your website. I took a gander, especially reading into your lore debates surrounding the Draenei race, I was convinced that I had come upon a guild that seems to share the same morbid, boundless passion for RP as I do.

Some OOC information about myself:

Currently living in Norway and studying media-related communication, I've been RP'ing for roughly two years. One year in LOTRO(because I'm a hard-bred Tolkien fan) and the last year in WoW. Coming from The Sha'tar, I have several Horde characters over there, and I'm sort of a known person on there by now. Suffice to say, that is where I am inclined to spend most of my time, but I spend a decent amount of time RP'ing, and I can easily makedo with spending a lot of time with you all!

I came to Moonglade around the year-shift, and I have a Night Elf Druid on this server in addition to my Draenei. He is currently unguilded, but judging from the sparse RP I've had on him, it seems he's waltzing over to <Shadow Sentinels>.

Besides spending too much time on WoW, I tend to dabble in the art of ever so occasionally writing fan fiction for my characters and other rants about sociological aspect of our society(though I promise not to do so in OOC, due to blatantly obvious reasons).

I also can not shut up about Nine Inch Nails. It's the only music I listen to, and I listen to it hours daily. Side-note: I apologize profusely on my behalf in regards to writing out Mendalan's background and history. While I've been careful to keep everything on an acceptable level, and I have every little snippet of detail stored in my head, I found it dauntingly difficult to write it out on text. I'm aware I left out some details that may very well be considered, but if this begs further questioning, I'll be happy to answer them!

Mendalan

Back to top Go down

Application - Mendalan Empty Re: Application - Mendalan

Post  Senra Thu May 26, 2011 10:57 pm

Hello there!

Glad to see you found your way onto our forum. We already had a chat in-game where you asked some questions about our guild. And now it's good to read some about your charracter. Quite a background story you wrote there. It wasn't really clear to me at first where your charracter is from, but I think it's Argus, right? Loved the familie part of the story.
Just a little sidenote I want to give you. About your choice of words. Some of your words are quite vague and difficult, where I think you can use way easier words that everyone can understand. Not everyone here is English by nature, or has such a big vocabulary. I think the officers won't have a problem reading it, but it would be nice if some of the members can read it without having to google half of the words Wink

One of the Officers will poke you in-game.

Greets,
Senra.
Senra
Senra

Back to top Go down

Post  Perforad Thu May 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Arkanon Poros!

What an interesting app this is. Senra already poked me about you when you talked and it's nice to see your app here.

I hope to be able to catch in-game soon (my ingame time is sadly limited lately) for a formal IC and OOC chat. I look forward to it at least.

Expect to be poked! ;-)

Perforad
Perforad
Perforad

Back to top Go down

Post  Avaali Fri May 27, 2011 1:26 am

Ooh, a fellow Nordic person with rudimentary skills in English. Intriguing.

That aside, love the backstory, looking forward to meeting you online.
Avaali
Avaali

Back to top Go down

Post  Perforad Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:45 am

Mendalan,

We talked earlier this week about meeting on Thursday, but something real life came in between.
We will have to try another day! Sorry about this.

Regards,
Perforad
Perforad
Perforad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down