the Light of Argus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Draenei and Sexuality

+10
Senra
Avaali
Sulaya
Nataari
Antadurunnu
Manala
Perforad
Arukann
Grimsain
Tansari
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Draenei and Sexuality Empty The Draenei and Sexuality

Post  Tansari Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:18 am

Hi all, time for another Lore discussion! I know that age has always been a huge point of discussion around Draenei, but now I wanna bring something more unusual to the table…

I was left wondering if people felt that gay Draenei went against lore conventions and so I thought I should bring it to the guild! To be specific, I want to know your views on LGBTQ Draenei. (For those who don't know: Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans and Queer). Not that I'm suggesting we had Rocky Horror-esque Draenei dancing across the Exodar in fishnets before it crashed, but that there could be an LGBTQ spectrum in Draenei culture.

Personally, I've always seen the Draenei as pansexual since they have such long lifespans - immortal or otherwise, your mileage may vary - and I can't see them judging love as being only between heterosexual partners for that reason. As far as I'm concerned, love is love for the Draenei since they're such an accepting race of everything bar evil. Yes they're a race with deep links to the Light, but I've never seen them as devoutly religious so much as pious: note that there isn't a Cathedral in the Exodar.

I don't think that LGBTQ Draenei would be in the majority, but I am curious about whether they would exist. (As far as I'm concerned, they would, but…) So, I bring this before you:

What do you think the possibility is for Draenei to be gay, and how would you/your characters react to meeting one?

(Also, for some interesting fanbased lore on the topic and everything else to do with Draenei, have a browse through this: http://www.siflige.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=133217&highlight=&sid=fbd24cc8ea8269b903e543fe10bafe1d as it sums up my views on the Draenei pretty much perfectly.)

Tansari

Back to top Go down

The Draenei and Sexuality Empty Re: The Draenei and Sexuality

Post  Grimsain Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:20 am

Interesting subject. It is quite clear that Blizard has stayed very clear of the entire area. Not to strange considering the minefield that it is.
First consider this; WoW contains elements from everywhere and every"when" in human history. From all kinds of civilizations we have made up through the ages.
Including the ancient Greeks. And if you have architecture and fantasy inspiration from that time, why not ideas and philosophies?
In the days of old Sokrates the love between two men where where far more respected and valued then the one between a man and a woman.
(I will not dwell deeper into that one now:)
Thus why not?

Well it depends, the Draeneis two major social influences are from India and Si-Fi. You might consider looking into Indian culture to find something to fit with what blizzard has already done.
Then again this is all a frame of mind, why would it matter?

The thought that a pretty much timeless race would view love differently is deeply philosophical question.
I would claim that a race like the Draenei would see little difference between the love you feel towards "a mate" that you can procreate with and many other kinds of love/kinship.
Love is love, it is you actions that define you through the ages.
But then you might also add the question of children and how a Draenei reach maturity. If they, as some claim, simply mature slower.
That is they go through most normal stages from child to death but during a very long time period, you could argue that their family structure and view should be the same, only slower then other races.
But if you claim the reach maturity faster, like in 50 years or so and then only develop mentally it would be a lot easier to claim different love related philosophies.

Yet again you could claim that since they are almost extinct their society might slowly drift from "equal love" towards the view that a procreating relationship is more valuable to their survival. But then you need to decide if procreation is fast or slow. If its slow it might be a problem for them "today" if its fast you must build a story where they controlled their number very well before the "dark times".
A race that lives forever and has 2-5 children every 30 years would run out of food and space very quickly. Imagine our world if no human had ever died.

Anyway, I see no real lore problem with "LGBTQ Draeneis". It would probably be easier to fit it within the Dreanei lore then any of the other races. (except maybe goblings)
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Arukann Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:11 am

Interesting topic, I have to admit.

Anyway, I think it's all a matter of opinion on this one, like it is with humans IRL, as for the origin, If it could happen to humans, why not a race that has existed for so much longer, and probably would have experimented in their extremely long lifespans.

I'm going to go ahead and take Anta as an example, it's a zombie wearing pink aprons, making tea and sandwiches, singing, dancing, and calling people "Sunshine" whenever he gets the chance. It amuses me greatly, and I'd love to see more characters being played out like that, as for the Lore bit, our goats are our characters, and it doesn't say so anywhere that we can't play them as LGBTQ's.

By the way, thanks for making me laugh with that Rocky Horror reference, you made my day Wink

Arukann

Back to top Go down

Post  Perforad Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:58 am

On this subject, I always try to keep an open mind. My own opinion on the subject is really that a Draenei loves all those around him, as the Light teaches this. And I agree on the subject of equal gender love that it is not unknown among Draenei, especially considering their immortality.

I also feel, they are a very unegoistical race. And that in the current situation of the Draenei, a single person will have to live with the possible stigma of the fact that they are removing themselves from the mating pool. There will be Draenei who will point that out to the person and not be happy with the choice the other person made. This has nothing to do with discrimating a LGBTQ, but with a general responsibility that all Draenei have to do what they can for their race.

Now.. the matter of feelings towards non-Draenei is something I have a personal strong opinion about that goes towards the negative, but that's a whole different subject.
Perforad
Perforad

Back to top Go down

Post  Manala Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:32 am

An interesting topic.

If I'd posted in the thread earlier I'd have made Grimsain's same point about the ancient Greeks, but he made it for me, so I don't need to go back there Smile I will however add that the young men who played the female roles in Shakespeare's plays had their own legions of male admirers. Nobody considered this to be in any way unusual, least of all the actors, who delighted in the attention and rivaled with each other for it.

Given that the Draenei lifespan lasts for many thousands of years it's entirely foreseeable that they meet someone with whom they completely 'click' personality wise, and develop a deep and lasting level of trust with over several decades or even centuries. It can be entirely natural for that to become a romantic relationship, and the other person could just happen to be the same physical sex.

I've had this conversation before in a different context (different game, dealing with immortals) and we all agreed on one thing: Given a long enough timeline, and a tight-knit enough community, more people are likely to say 'oh what the hell'. And Draenei, with their diminished numbers, seem to have formed small, close communities.

And a little bit of advice from me, as well. I've been roleplaying for 10 years and I like to think that I've picked up things here and there. So: If you feel like roleplaying a character of an alternate sexuality, for whatever reason, that doesn't necessarily have to be that character's defining trait.
For example: Bob the Rogue is dry, sarcastic and witty, with a quick temper and when he's bored, he emotes about whittling wood, whistling a bad tune or making flutes out of animal bones. But Bob just happens to like the company of other men. He doesn't shout about it from the rooftops, or wax lyrical endlessly about it, or obsess over whether Barry the Paladin has a nicer rear than he does. He stays the hell away from the Pig and Whistle because it has an awful reputation, and his player doesn't let the fact that he (or she) fancies Edward Cullen get in the way of enjoying and participating in Guild RP events. When Jim the Hunter joins the guild, he and Bob spend a lot of time together doing dungeon finder runs, leveling together and hanging out. It just happens to be that Jim is played by Bob's real-life, same-sex partner. The guild has a momentary blink when they find this out, and then get on with their lives because they are mature, tolerant individuals.

Another example: Anowyn the Night Elf Sentinel is four thousand years old. The majority of Kal'dorei males have been asleep and hidden away for the vast majority of her lifetime. 95% of the people Anowyn knows and trusts are other Sentinels. When she is lonely, Anowyn turns to her blade-sisters. She doesn't consider it unusual- she knows and trusts them with her life, and knows their every quirk and whim after fighting beside them for many centuries. The focus of Anowyn's life is her struggle to defend her Feralas forests against the Horde. Not that she happens to find other Kaldorei females more worthy of her trust and her time than the newly-awoken, scratchily-bearded males.

TLDR version: Sexuality is about more than lol ERP gigglesnorts. It's one facet of a multi-faceted character, and if their primary focus in all your roleplay- no matter the situation- is the pursuit of man-meats or lady-bumps, Buzz Lightyear is not afraid to judge you.

The Draenei and Sexuality You-are-a-sad-strange-little-man

And I've spent far too long writing this when I should have been lying down dealing with a headache. Laters.

inb4 Anta doing the time-warp
Manala
Manala

Back to top Go down

Post  Antadurunnu Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:16 am

I'm way too burned out from work today to add anything constructive, other then the fact that what everyone else has said makes a lot of sense.
I will however defend(or explain) Ant's sexuality.
He knows for a fact he's dead and necrophilia is yucky so he doesn't really care about rolling around in the sheets.
As mana has said over skype before ''Ant's so far in the closet he's having adventures in Narnia'' And it's blatant that he's rather...feminine for lack of a better word. Tired the 'hard man' routine and it just didn't suit him and now its a case of, he's dead - might as well be happy even if it is singing cheesy 80's love songs.
As for flirting with everything with hooves male or female that's purely because its a way of breaking the ice and creeping the hell out of most people in a dark humor fashion.

I have no clue if any of that makes sense..so dam tired
Antadurunnu
Antadurunnu

Back to top Go down

Post  Nataari Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:24 am

For me it is not questionable wether there *are* LGBTQ(intersting term btw) Draenei - for as homosexuality is a natural thing, I wouldn't see a reason why any of the WOW races would or would have not a similar ratio of gay or bi characters as us normal RL humans. The only thing what varies, and what is very interesting to discuss, is how their own society would react to them - and I find the given opinions a very interesting read so far! Sadly these are answers we might never have being founded by the lore with Blizzard being an American company and not going there in a 12+ rated game. But same as with other races, one can make educated guesses taking their age, society and culture into account.

One thing I want to highlight though, for me there is a IC and a OOC perspective on the matter.

Let me first come to the IC part.

I definately agree that same-gender love is known among the Draenei, and as mentioned I'd use the same 'ratio' as for RL humans there - homosexuality is in most societies an exception, not the rule. My opinion more or less mirrors what the previous people already stated and explained in better words: the Draenei are an ancient, immortal / longliving race. They do not only possess in general a wisdom and farsight humans as a whole lack (having an advantage of thousands and dozens of thousands of years), but are also a tight-knit, very close community of those who survived the Exodus from Argus.. and have been raised in a very loving and caring society. I can very well imagine that same sex relationship might have cause astonishment, but not really more - it might not be common, but I see no reason why any Draenei would have really condemned it.
Perforad makes a very valid point also about the recent years. With so few of the Draenei left, not only every life is precious (well, that applies to anything, but imagine from the viewpoint of a dying race with only a few thousands/ ten thousands left..).. I can indeed see some Draenei frown on homosexuality, as selfish and unproductive - not because of moral standards having been breached.
Thats just my opinion though. I can also understand if a player chooses his char to have a more homophobic attitude, eventhough myself would also think Draenei are more 'open' in this matter.

Then theres of course an OOC angle, which is by no means connected to the lore discussion we are having above, but from an angle of a Draenei guild IMO well worth mentioning.

I'm telling nobody something new that a large part of female Draenei characters on RP servers are roleplayed as lesbians - we all know the clichee, and as leader of a Draenei guild, I had my fair share of it, believe me. Whilst in RL I have no prejudice towards homosexuality whatsoever, I have to admit that this massive amount of openly (and partly badly RPed) lesbians ingame is a pet peeve. There are always exception of course which are perfectly fne for me. If homosexuality is RPed out in a way as given by Manalas examples - as beings who just happen to be gay among many other quirks - for 1) the RP challenge, or 2) for trying out a new facette to a personality, or a perfeect fit to the character you are playing or 3) because the player is gay in RL and feels more comfortable to play a character of the same sexual orientation - these are aspects I fully understand and tolerate, and to which I do look forward to reacting to it in RP.
However, this is sadly not the rule, as I daresay an estimated gros of the gay characters (I could actually say lesbian, more specifically, as for obvious reasons male homosexuality is a extreme rare thing ingame) are gay.. because the male player rolls a female char and finds it hawt to play a lesbian. Or has the imagination to re-enact a 2m tall 1000 year old spacegoat, but not enough imagination to let her be drawn towards the males of her race, the same gender as the OOC player. I am sorry to be blunt here, but I accuse 70% of all encountered ingame lesbians of the latter and yet have to be convinced otherwise.
It is arguable wether this is acceptable or not, as, at the end of the day, why and what we roll is a personal matter, including the chars sexuality. However I do deem the ridiculous amount of hot Draenei females who happen to be lesbians facepalmworthy. And having the responsibility to lead a Draenei RP guild in the best representable and reputable manner, I frown strongly on openly lesbian characters, unless it quickly becomes clear the sexuality is played out as in the examples given by Manala and repeated by me.

Oh, and to the topic of Anta.. sue my, but at Arukanns description couldn't help but thinking of that one here xD (Robert de Niro rocks in Stardust Wink )

The Draenei and Sexuality Deniro10

Nataari
Nataari
Admin

http://lightofargus.wowrpg.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sulaya Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:50 pm

In my opinion, it has nothing to do in a game.
Answer's short, yes, but that's my opnion.

It's a 12+ game. I know for a fact even 11 year olds play this game. They don't have to come in contact with this so early on already.
If people want to be that way in real life, it's their life, but imo it has nothing to do in a game. Nor has normal sex for that matter. It's a game and it's not Second Life.
Sulaya
Sulaya

http://www.ontourlb.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Antadurunnu Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:54 pm

I LOVE Stardust! Especially Robert de Niro's character *happyface*
Antadurunnu
Antadurunnu

Back to top Go down

Post  Arukann Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:10 am

Antadurunnu wrote: he's dead - might as well be happy even if it is singing cheesy 80's love songs.

And that's why we love him so much Wink

Arukann

Back to top Go down

Post  Avaali Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:17 am

Sulaya, I think you're missing the point of the discussion. This is a discussion if Draenei CAN be LGBTQ, not if it should exist in the game. Yes, I admit, people can make being an LGBTQ Draenei part of their character. But even if they do, so what? As Mana so eloquently stated, it'd be another character trait. If a person makes it the focus of their RP then it'd be bad RP, but the same can be said for any character trait.
And if we go into if pre-teens should come in contact with this. I have my own opinion on this, but it's irrelevant to the discussion so I'll spare your eyes. But I'll put it this way: We're in a game where, if you look at the scenery, some really graphical things are going on. I think I remember seeing a child's grave once, and there's a night elf that's been tortured to death in Darkshore. In all honesty, WoW shouldn't really be a 12+ game anymore, but again, that's beside the point. There are all these graphical and horrific things, but you think that a simple matter of sexuality is too much? As a character trait? No offence mate, but I'm calling bullshit on that one.
Nat's already stated this. It's clear that a lot of the LGBTQ stuff going on in WoW is Goldshire related, and not in a good way in the slightest. However, are we Goldshire? Do you honestly not trust our members to handle this responsibly? None of us would ever even come close to ERPing. It's what gives us RPers a bad name in the first place. But we have to be able to handle our RPing maturely, and saying "Nope, sorry, you can't add this and that character trait to your character" is not handling things maturely. I know what I just said can be taken heavily out of context, but I simply mean that we can't forbid character traits that are, well, normal.
And as a final statement because I honestly found it a bit offensive, being LGBTQ is not a choice. You can choose to be one as much as you can choose your natural hair colour.

But to actually add something to the discussion instead of just ranting.
For reasons already stated I think that Draenei are able to be LGBTQ. There's simply no reason why they wouldn't be able to be. However, as has already been mentioned it's possible that a Draenei would ignore their attraction to a person of the same gender for the sake of the species, especially in LoA where the objective of the guild is the preservation of the species! Now we've got a lot of different members with differing views, personalities and philosophies so I'm not saying it's impossible. I do think, however, that it is something many LoA members, not to mention Draenei in general as Nat said, would frown upon. But at the same time, the Draenei are an understanding race. They might frown on it, but I doubt many would actually openly judge the person for the choice they've made. If the Broken can be accepted despite their condition then this is something that can be accepted as well.
Avaali
Avaali

Back to top Go down

Post  Arukann Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:28 am

First off; Avaali, thank you, I love reading rants.

But Ava's got a point there, several actually, In my opinion as a roleplayer, if you want to make a LGBTQ Character, have fun doing so and rping it, in fact, respect if you manage to pull it off without falling into the pit of Goldshire.

I for one will never have a character that frowns upon LGBTQ's, but LoA might or might not, after all we have a feminine zombie. Wink
But, back to the topic, The way I see it, It's perfectly possible to have an LGBTQ Draenei, in fact I would love to roleplay with one, so they can exist, and how any guild/community/group handles it, that we'll have to find out as we go I guess.

Arukann

Back to top Go down

Post  Avaali Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:55 am

I live to serve rabbit
Avaali
Avaali

Back to top Go down

Post  Manala Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:29 am

On the subject of the game's certificate:

There is a quest in the game where you, the player, torture multiple people with red-hot pokers so that you find out where to go in order to massacre their friends. This is acceptable in a PEGI 12 rated game.

The 'get so drunk you see pink elephants' quest was removed from the EU realms Brewfest last year, because having your screen blur from virtual alcohol that's not real is not acceptable in a PEGI 12 rated game. (this is why the Wolpertinger pet is on a vendor in EU realms)

There is a quest in the game where you, the player, use a neural shock device to deliver increasing amounts of pain to an enemy prisoner in order to attain information. It's quite clear from the quest text that the amount of pain you, the player, inflict on this person is incredible. This is acceptable in a PEGI 12 rated game.

A spell where you, the player, cause newly-slain bodies to explode with enough force to stun or kill is acceptable in a PEGI 12 rated game.

Garrosh Hellscream calling Sylvanas a bitch (fully voiced) is acceptable in a PEGI 12 rated game.

A female Night Elf /flirt that hints at liking other girls was removed from the random sound file rotation for the emote. (It does, however, remain in the game files if you know how to get at them: "I'm the kind of girl my mother warned me about.") Because girls who talk about liking other girls are not acceptable in a PEGI 12 rated game.

It's the old American dilemma. "Sure, stab that guy in the neck on national television but don't you dare talk about nipples in front of my kids!"

TLDR, screw the certificate.
Manala
Manala

Back to top Go down

Post  Nataari Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:35 am

Eventhough I do see a characters sexuality as natural and facette of the full package we are RPing, I also do see Sulayas point here. I do not go as far as saying 'it hasn't got place in a MMORPG', as sexuality is a natural facette of a character, as much as temper & emotions. Wether or wether not presented in RP (if only as much as a harmless flirting) is personal choice.
However one should be cautious to not have a character over-sexualized or too much 'in your face' towards others, especially in public, as not everybody is comfortable with it or wants to be bothered with it when logging into WOW. Or old enough, for that matter. The argument that there are many other gory aspects of the game that don't fit into a 12+game is no valid argument that makes it justified to exaggerate with other adult content.

My TLDR of it - Deal with it sensibly and we are all good, but don't force too much infos on others.

Do you honestly not trust our members to handle this responsibly? None of us would ever even come close to ERPing. It's what gives us RPers a bad name in the first place. But we have to be able to handle our RPing maturely, and saying "Nope, sorry, you can't add this and that character trait to your character" is not handling things maturely. I know what I just said can be taken heavily out of context, but I simply mean that we can't forbid character traits that are, well, normal.

Mind explaining me what triggered that bit of rage? I did make my stance on the subject clear above, as well as I differentiated between the different motivations and that I do not generalize here, nor generally exclude. I ask you to not do it either. Besides I do find it interesting that now you are speaking for every of the 76 members of this guild and potentional recruits?

And as a final statement because I honestly found it a bit offensive, being LGBTQ is not a choice. You can choose to be one as much as you can choose your natural hair colour.

In RL this applies, in a computer game not. We were talking about ingame matters, not RL sexuality, so no need to get worked up over this.
Nataari
Nataari
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Manala Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:59 am

I agree with Nat's post above. I guess I was trying to make two points in my previous posts.

Firstly, sexuality does not necessarily go hand in hand with the physical act of sex. It's possible to portray a character's sexuality without ERPing. (My stance on public ERP is 'don't do it', btw, what you do inside an instance is between you and your conscience)

Second, common sense should take precedence over relying on a six year-old ESRB/PEGI certification. Yes, younger folks play this game, and we should all certainly be aware of that and mind our language in public. But there are also other folks in their 20s and 30s who play this game to let off steam and be themselves. The WoW community is not, and can never be, a one-size-fits-all thing.

If you good people only ever take one thing I say seriously, please let it be this: Be yourself to the last, but don't tell people who they can and cannot be.

As Mark Twain (pretty sure it was Twain) said, 'The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.'
Manala
Manala

Back to top Go down

Post  Avaali Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:22 am

Mind explaining me what triggered that bit of rage?
I think you misunderstood me, Nat. I wasn't angry. Passioned, perhaps, but far from angry. Lost in translation over the internet, methinks.

I did make my stance on the subject clear above, as well as I differentiated between the different motivations and that I do not generalize here, nor generally exclude. I ask you to not do it either. Besides I do find it interesting that now you are speaking for every of the 76 members of this guild and potentional recruits?
Again, misunderstanding. I was simply delivering an argument. You're reading too much into it. It was never my intention to speak as LoA as a whole. If I did, I would've specifically stated that. It was merely a conveying of opinion. No more, no less.

In RL this applies, in a computer game not. We were talking about ingame matters, not RL sexuality, so no need to get worked up over this.

Going to have to disagree with you there.

If people want to be that way in real life, it's their life

"Want to be that way" implies a choice.
And I'd like to add, it wasn't mean as a personal attack. If that's how you saw it, and this is directed to not only Nat and Sulaya, but everyone, I apologize. I didn't mean any offence.
Avaali
Avaali

Back to top Go down

Post  Nataari Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:29 am

None taken and none intended either, sorry if I came across as brash too Wink Thanks for clearing it up however!
Nataari
Nataari
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sulaya Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:35 am

I think I am entitled to my own opinion like you are to yours. If that doesn't match your opinion, so be it. No need to call that bullshit.
Sulaya
Sulaya

http://www.ontourlb.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:01 am

It dawns on me after reading the responses here that we might be on the wrong track.
The question might not be "Can there be?". That question can only be answered/decided by Blizzard, and they wont touch this with a ten foot pole.
And it looks like a majority of mature role players would say "Why not?".

The question could be "Where is the line between natural part of you character traits and Goldshire?"
And anyone who dont know your chars background to notice such a trait, you need to use a fairly big flag.
When you then add that (to my experience) those who really care about this subject, most of them anyway, "want" to be noticed.
And those who want to be noticed and never are will enlarge that "flag" until people take notice.
This is where its a fairly big risk to enter "Goldshire" and fairly bad role playing.
Here we might have a problem, however, there are far worse examples of poor role play that are widely accepted.

My favorite is the story of a Kal'dorei High priestess not only jumping the bones of an undead Dreanei but manage to get a bun in the owen as well.
To me this way, way off course. And neither me or anyone else question's it. Why?
Because they dont "overdo" it more then the simple story they are running, they dont shout it from the rooftops, if you dont deliberately dwell deeper into their experience you never need to care.

And that is my point, anyone who brings LGBTQ "to far" will simply be playing either in Goldshire or with those other people who like it.
We dont see ERP on our guild meetings and we will not see any "silly" LGBTQ emotes either. (silly as in "things you do in a pride parade" emotes)
Thus, why bother?
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Perforad Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:30 pm

I really think Grim hit the nail right on the head there.
The issue for me really isn't if the Draenei CAN be or even SHOULD be. The issue for me comes on how it's presented. And this is an issue both in Real Life and in this game to me.

To me, an overtly, in your face, gay character is in every way the same as an overtly, in your face, straight character. This may be a bit of a pet peevee for me (possibly coming from a country where people really don't care who you share the bed with). But I really don't see a reason why someone should literally put the fact they are either gay or straight out there so openly that other people might take offense. Seriously.. if I would do the same and vocally state the fact I am proud of the fact I'm white, blond haired and have blue eyes people would call me a racist.

I am all for the matter of just keeping it part of yourself and your personal life, as sexuality is just that.. a very personal thing. People will accept how you are, you don't need to throw it out there and let everyone know you are gay all the time. That's like swinging a baseball bat around on a sidewalk. Often people will notice and respect the fact you take the freedom that you swing a baseball bat around on a sidewalk. But the more you do it, the bigger the chance you meet someone who takes offense on the fact you swing a baseball bat around on a sidewalk, or someone who will just not notice and be hit by the baseball bat, and will confront you about that fact.

Now, I understand this sounds as if I'm the kind of person who is all for keeping it quiet and hidden and secret.. that's also not the case. Some of my best friends are gay, and I am a person that is proud enough to be able to say that one of those friends trusted me enough with the subject that I was the person he came out to first, before he dared say it to anyone else.

I just do not believe in it being such a huge defining factor as some people let it be. Alright, you are a person that likes people of the same sex. Good for you! I'm glad you had the courage to come out for those feelings! But the more people keep considering it special, the more people will stay offended by it and not accept it as something that is completely normal and natural. And people on both sides keep considering it special until today..
So yes, I have little respect for people who say that being Gay is evil and wrong and whatnot and feel the need to literally voice their opinion on that matter over and over again and confront gay people with what's 'wrong' about them. But I also have little respect for the people who take over the Amsterdam canals once every year to dance (almost) butt naked on boats just because 'they are proud to be gay'. Whoop de frickin' doo! Do you really expect me to take you serious when you are dressed like that? The most proud gay people are those that don't make a big deal out of the fact they are gay, the rest are, in my humble opinion, just attention craving maniacs. And to me, this is the same in game and out.

That's my stance on the subject.. I guess in a way it's the famous KISS principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid.. That fits in any kind of character or character concept. Don't overdo stuff, keep it simple.
Perforad
Perforad

Back to top Go down

Post  Senra Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:04 pm

Darn you Perf, you make me lose my message! Don't post at the same time as me!

Now, what did I originally type... *thinks, brain cracks*

Oh yes now I remember, sorta.

This is a very intersting discussion. Let's all keep it nice. Everyone has their own opinion and point of vieuw. Which is great! But it is also something that should be respected first and foremost. Ofcourse not everyone agrees with eachother, and not everyone things thinks the same. Darn that would be boring! But we don't want any arguements or fights comming off a good discussion. So, respect one another for their opinion.

Now for my own opinion:

Draenei being into the same gender sounds plausible for me. But I think it would not be accepted by the Draenei society. A lesbian or gay Draenei could be seen as 'strange' or 'not normal' and perhaps end up outcast. Now that does sound a bit real life to me. Things that are not normal are seen as strange in the eyes of the crowd and will be likely to not be accepted.
But I also think that things like this should not be played out in public. Seeing that this is a MMO and more people play it, everyone should respect eachother. And not to things that provoke anger or arguements. A good discussion is great at times. But a thing like a slam-in-your-face-lesbian/gay charracter can make some people very angry. And ofcourse you shouldn't adjust yourself to the demands of other people, but keeping off the things that you know provokes anger, that is just common sense to me.
If you want to play out personal situation between charracters (lesbian/gay or staight, so anyway or erp) should be done in personal! So if someones wants to do something similar, I suggest they do it in party chat, whisper or a private channel.If you say two woman getting nasty in a bar or on the street, wouldn't you look weird?

IF, and this is a very inportant if, if someone wants to play a lesbian/gay charracter, big joy but keep it normal. Like Perf said. Play with class, that goes for any rper. Don't do things a person in rl wouldn't do. Therefor I think that if someone plays a lesbian/gay charracter, do it normal.

Since this is a game, everyone should be able to play what they want. But keep in such a way that it isn't slamming anyone in the face Wink

And this is my opinion, love it or hate it, but respect it most of all Smile
Senra
Senra

Back to top Go down

Post  Perforad Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Just to add and make myself clear: I do not feel any character or person in LoA at this time does the gay, or even straight, character overly overtly (hehe, i love saying that!) Nobody plays the sexual preference card too much in this guild.
So in a way, I agree with Avaali that we can trust our members on it right now. Still, Nataari does have a good point when she says it is a big group of people to trust without saying a word about it.

As the ERP in Moonglade thread describes, only one person playing the card way too openly and way too overtly can and probably will ruin the reputation of a very respectable roleplaying guild. A reputation that we have worked on for almost two years now to build up. And especially considering the sensetivity of Draenei lesbian ERPers being way too common in places where it DOES happen, I hope people understand that the leadership might crack down just a bit on things when they threaten to destroy the good name as a guild that doesn't do that kind of thing.

I also think that had to be said as that really colors the opinion of the Council members on this topic to a level that might not always be fair to every player and every character concept, but what is very important to us. There is a stigma on the female Draenei 'roleplayer' we have been fighting an uphill battle against for 2 years now. We have been very lucky so far that our selection method was good enough so far that the matter of those kinds of characters joining us has been few and far between and always been handled swiftly and, in my eyes, fairly by us.
But I also hope that people do understand that if a situation arises where we feel forced to take action on a character for overt actions that hurt our reputation as a respectable Draenei guild that it has nothing to do with how we feel about gay people (I know for a fact that Nataari at least is possibly the most accepting person I met IRL ever on subjects like this), but that it is because we have to fight a stigma and a bad name that Draenei have in general on RP servers that forces us to crack down extra hard on some overtly sexual (be it gay or straight) character concepts.

I feel that also had to be said in this discussion.
Perforad
Perforad

Back to top Go down

Post  Nataari Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Perforad, marry me!
Okay, dangerous wording here Wink But thanks for explaining my concerns here better than I could in my own words, and thanks for explaining the guilds worries, and its stance on this topic. I even have nothing else to add here, as most things seem to have been stated
Nataari
Nataari
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Arukann Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:40 am

Admin wrote:Perforad, marry me!

Finally, took you long enough to get that out didn't it? Wink

Otherwise, I'll stick with Nat on the fact that we can't say much more on the topic that hasn't been said already, I've enjoyed the discussion and I have to say it's a very interesting topic, thank you for posting it.

/Aru

Arukann

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next