the Light of Argus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Age Span for Draenei - Made by Adonter

+10
Senra
Io
Rakkan
Antadurunnu
Alazeer
Grimsain
Perforad
Yressa
Nataari
Adonter
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Age Span for Draenei - Made by Adonter Empty Age Span for Draenei - Made by Adonter

Post  Adonter Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:45 am

Because there's no account anywhere of age-span anywhere for Draenei (Example; WoWWiki- And thats supported by Blizzard)
And trust me I spent alot of time trying to find it - So if you want, you can keep to this life-span limit I'll be setting now.
It may be abit against Lore making it up but there's alot of confusement.

Some things to note;

No, Draenei's don't live short lives..they are the only race of either races we know currently that not Demon nor undead that can lives for tens of thousands of years.

Yes, Draenei's live a long time, but they there's not many Draenei's who would be over 25,000 years due to war ect. My character is somewhere close to being 40,000 (I can't be bothered being spercific) and Velen. Yer you can make an old character but please don't make too many, cause there's not ment to be that many above 20,000 muchly now and who'd want to be in a guild filled with oldies? I mean really..

So here it is

DRAENEI

Maximum Life-Span: 35,000 - 40,000 yrs.

Child Hood (5-12): 0-250 yrs.

Teenage(13-19): 250-1000 yrs.

Adultery (25's): 1000-10,000 yrs.

In their 50's (If you get what I mean): 10,000-20,000 yrs.

Elderly (100): 20,000 - 30,000 yrs.

Ancient (Get off me' lawn!): 30,000 - 40,000 yrs.

And there you go. There's no spercific calculation just to make it easier, whether you go by this or don't is up to you but it's just to make things easy to calculate. If you get beyond 40,000 yrs I would muchly say you'd be quite crippled. Adonter is near that and is already breaking down...slowly..poor guy (But thats just an example)

If you find this against Lore - DON'T SHOUT CRUD AT ME ABOUT IT! I didn't give a care, this is RP and have fun, im just making this to make things easier since their's no account of Lore about it anywhere else. So. Have fun. Read. Enjoy. Have a biscuit while your at it.
Adonter
Adonter

Back to top Go down

Age Span for Draenei - Made by Adonter Empty Re: Age Span for Draenei - Made by Adonter

Post  Nataari Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:28 pm

Hm, I have to add, nice guide, but I do not agree at all with it!

The Draenei life span has been discussed to death in many forums and sites, without reaching a definite conclusion, simply because the lore doesn't specify anything there.
For a fact, it is not even specified wether draenei are immortal or can die of old age eventually!

I think the best thing a player can do is leaving the age of his / her Draenei simply open - for one, we don't know anyway, for the other, I do not think that Draenei count their years as humans, anyway.
If you live in your 1000's, who cares how old you *really* are..??

I also rather guess Draenei specify their age most likely to certain events - like 'born on Draenor / Argus / a world we visited', 'came to age when Shattrath fell' etc.

Some general age facts that I did came across from offical sources, and which might be helpful..

- they started ca 25 000 years ago from Argus
- there are quite a few Draenei who were old enough to be born there and can tell stories of the planet. Examples - Velen (of course), Jessera of Mac Aree (the mushroom dude on Bloodmyst)
- Generally they do not show signs of age except when very ancient, like Velen or a couple of NPCs along the way (or of course our dear Vindicator Adonter !)
- most draenei have been born either on the journey Argus to Draenor or on Draenor itself
- All Draenei were old enough when the corruption of the orcs and the genocide of the Draenei took place.

However, life span undecided - I think somewhere was mentioned by Velen that the Draeneis journey took 10 generations. or sth like that. Correct me if wrong Smile A lot of people therefore assume that a lifespan means 2500 therefore, and those Draenei older than this have 'prolonged' their life somehow - technic, magic, blessing of the Naaru, whatever)

About maturity:
Many players kind of take the Night elves as a rough guideline for that.
Nightelves come to age at around 300, which I'd also consider a good guess for our spacegoats. Everything older than that is adult with different amount of life experience. this is at least how I view it

Anyway, thats just my 5 Cents.
There were some discussions about Draenei age in the official forums, I'll look for the link. Maybe somebody finds it helpful to gather some more player opinions.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=2405612932&sid=1
Nataari
Nataari
Admin

http://lightofargus.wowrpg.org

Back to top Go down

Age Span for Draenei - Made by Adonter Empty Re: Age Span for Draenei - Made by Adonter

Post  Faithra Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:40 am

I agree with Nat on this one. Leave the age of your draenei open to interpretation.

The argument that Velen is 25000 years old, and therefore draenei are near-immortal... Uhm, not sure I buy it. Velen is pretty much a special case, and shouldn't be used as "proof" that most draenei are really old. Blizzards intention is most likely that player characters should be pretty young, as quest givers on Azuremyst/Bloodmyst refer to you as "young one" at least once (I think ;3). I'm not trying to cramp anyone's RP here, if you wanna play a millenia-old draenei, by all means, go ahead Smile

I just don't think age is all that an important question to draenei. They simply are. Experience and wisdom counts for far more in their society than just... The length of time you've been in existence.

Faithra

Back to top Go down

Post  Yressa Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:46 am

Awesome XD I managed to post as "Faithra". Yep! That's me ;3
Yressa
Yressa

Back to top Go down

Post  Perforad Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:13 pm

About Draenei and Age..

If I can give my 2 copper about it, I always say: Don't bother. The only thing that is really breaking lore is being born after the Exodar crash. We do not even know the exact time it took between the sacking of Shattrath and the Crash of the Exodar. We also do not know how quick Draenei Age. Although, Lord of the Clans does talk about a Draenei child being as old as an Orc's grandfather or something.. that is the only bit of evidence of Draenei Aging and that is a novel, those are not official lore as those get retconned all the time.

Also, about the travel taking 'ten generations'. When we talk about generations in the real world we don't talk about the average life span of people, we talk about important cultural changes. For example: The generation of the 60s and 70s, the generation of the 80s, the current generation, etcetera. Cultural things that put the people apart because of the period they grew up in. That means that, even in a human lifespan, we can have 5 generations in 1 lifespan. Now, if we assume all else equal that will mean that a 25.000 year trip taking 10 generations, 5 generations for each lifespan, that the average Draenei lifespan will be 12.500 years.

Now, I do not support or use that number. All I want to say is: Do you really think a species that gets that old really gives anything about the biological age of someone? Or would they more focus on their mental age, their wisdom and insights? And maybe, just maybe take into account the situation/time they were born and grew up in?

And that is how I always use Draenei Age, vaguely, talking about the time they grew up in as a measuring of age and not their actual number of years.

-----edit----

BTW Adonter, I'm not bashing your age post. When it comes to actually trying to create an age group I think you come pretty darn close. I just feel that the time growing up to adulthood is much too long. That assumes not one Draenei that was born on Draenor is actually an adult already. That is kind of illogical because why would a race, that is used to flee from the Legion, stay and fight if the lands they stand on were not so important for them because they were born there.
Perforad
Perforad

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:50 pm

Hello.

I'm only going to post two links here. One that appears to be forgotten.
First hand information directly from blizzard:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/townhall/draenei.html
If you want to follow the Warcraft storyline the Eredar race is 25,000 years old.
There are no Draenei or Eredar older then this.

The second link is about how hard it is to play an immortal character.
Now Blizzard doesn't do role playing tips or thoughts. Therefor there are no first hand info on how to play a Draenei.
But this site presents the difficulties of playing a timeless character quite well:
http://www.wow.com/2008/10/05/all-the-worlds-a-stage-so-you-want-to-be-a-draenei/
A big part of this concerns that it is impossible for a human mind to comprehend an immortal life.
And since you cant remotely understand it you cant act it.

Of course, nothing is cut in stone and the most important thing is that everyone are having a good time.
And you can bend the information from Blizzard and role playing standers in a full circle to achieve this.
I myself solve the problem by playing very young chars who never took a part in the old timeless ways.
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Alazeer Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:03 pm

Grimsain wrote:I'm only going to post two links here. One that appears to be forgotten.
First hand information directly from blizzard:
If you want to follow the Warcraft storyline the Eredar race is 25,000 years old.
There are no Draenei or Eredar older then this.

I thought 25,000 years ago when was the Burning Legion came, and that they had already been around thousands of years before that.
Anyway, the way I see it, you don't really need an exact age when creating a Draenei, just base how old you are around what you have seen and done, so, if you were born on Argus, you don't need to say, I am 26,752 years old and 6 months, you just need to hint where you born. "Ah...I remember Argus in all it's glory, before the Legion came." This implies that you were around on Argus and therefore must be that old.
Alazeer
Alazeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:57 pm

The burning legion was created by Sargeras.
He was created by the titans as a defender of the universe.
After eons of doing his job he found that normality is chaos and released all evil he had captured.
(Among them where the dredlords.)
At some point he found and corrupted Argus and its inhabitants the Eredar.
The first to fall to the corruption was Kiljaden and Archimond.
Two friends of Velen who he him self resisted Sargeras temptations of unlimited power.
Some of the Eredar led by Velen fled Argus and renamed them self The Draenei (The exiled once).

Before 25 000 years ago according to the blizzard lore the Eredar did not exist.
Of course you are free to change the story too what ever fits the character you want to play.

I find that the best explanation is that 25,000 years ago the Eredar achieved everlasting life and good health.
That would give them at least 10,000 years to reform their society to fit such a long lifespan, before Sargeras came.
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Alazeer Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:26 am

Grimsain wrote:The burning legion was created by Sargeras.
He was created by the titans as a defender of the universe.
After eons of doing his job he found that normality is chaos and released all evil he had captured.
(Among them where the dredlords.)
At some point he found and corrupted Argus and its inhabitants the Eredar.
The first to fall to the corruption was Kiljaden and Archimond.
Two friends of Velen who he him self resisted Sargeras temptations of unlimited power.
Some of the Eredar led by Velen fled Argus and renamed them self The Draenei (The exiled once).

Before 25 000 years ago according to the blizzard lore the Eredar did not exist.
Of course you are free to change the story too what ever fits the character you want to play.

I find that the best explanation is that 25,000 years ago the Eredar achieved everlasting life and good health.
That would give them at least 10,000 years to reform their society to fit such a long lifespan, before Sargeras came.

I thought Sargeras came 25,000 years ago?

Also, in your picture, is that you?
Alazeer
Alazeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:27 am

Nopp, Sargeras attacked Argus sometime between 25,000 and 10,000 years ago.

But in those 15,000 years the Eredar:
1. Built their civilization.
2. Lived long enough for everyone to forget the passage of time.
3. Get corrupted.
4. Lost the war with the demons.
5. Flee and find Dreanor.
6. Build and lose that civilization to the demons/orcs.

(Yes its me)
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Alazeer Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:08 am

Grimsain wrote:(Yes its me)

Uh...
Alazeer
Alazeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Antadurunnu Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Personally I think everyone should just die and become death knights *nods* Think of the benifits
-Immortal as long as you keep a good maintenace routine
-No more living/dead wars
-Not affected by living issues such as breathing, eating, drinking
-If you don't like a part of you self, just rip off and replace
-Your own personalised runeblade and ghoul
And many more!

If Arthas put me in charge of advertising for the scrouge I could see the recruitment rates being a lot more then it currently is *nods*
Antadurunnu
Antadurunnu

Back to top Go down

Post  Rakkan Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:15 pm

Antadurunnu wrote:Personally I think everyone should just die and become death knights *nods* Think of the benifits
-Immortal as long as you keep a good maintenace routine
-No more living/dead wars
-Not affected by living issues such as breathing, eating, drinking
-If you don't like a part of you self, just rip off and replace
-Your own personalised runeblade and ghoul
And many more!

If Arthas put me in charge of advertising for the scrouge I could see the recruitment rates being a lot more then it currently is *nods*

This is the hour of the Forsake.... uh.

Tea, anyone?
Rakkan
Rakkan

Back to top Go down

Post  Io Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:54 pm

I think it was in Rise of the Horde by Christie Golden study , during a conversation between Thralls father Durotan and the Draenei hunting party lead by Restalaan, who saved Durotan from a crazed ogre, that life span was mentioned. It was said to be many orc generations, not immortal. To my understanding Velen is ancient counting his life span in millennia; therefore you have a personal choice, be part of the Argus survivors or the next generations of Draenei.
I think regardless of your choice, the Draenei have the most interesting history of any race.

I have enjoyed reading your forum today, I am interested in role-playing and your site has increased that interest.

/thank you I love you

Io, EU Arathor

Io

Back to top Go down

Post  Io Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:32 am

Embarassed Velens flight from Argus was Twenty-five thousand years ago /blush

Io

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:16 am

Io wrote: Embarassed Velens flight from Argus was Twenty-five thousand years ago /blush

Directly from the official site long before the release of Tbc and the launch of the "new draenei race".
(The original storyline being created in warcaft 3 and then forgotten)
To quote the very first line: "Nearly twenty-five thousand years ago, the eredar race arose on the world of Argus."

Herby, the entire Eredar race, both the now demonic who are still called Eredar and then the untainted Draenei (the exiled once) arose 25.000 years ago.
Velen is not older then that or he was born an Eredar before the race existed. And sure magic can do that but to explain everything with magic is quite boring.
And since we know Sargeras and Archimond tried to invande Azeroth 10.000 years ago the flight from Argus and must have occurred at some point within those 15:000 years between the Rise of the Eredar and the first invasion in Azeroth.

Anything else is fan fiction.
Nothing wrong with fan fiction, but if you want to keep a baseline, that is it.

Come to think of it. I would be willing to challenge anyone to find any quest anywhere in game that suggest that any Draenei except Velen live longer then a Night/blood elf.
Actually, the book titled "Arthas" suggest the elf's don't live much longer then humans, however that book was horrible. At least according to me.
(No i have not forgotten about the 10 000 year old elf's, but that is no more, and they where never immortal. You could say they only had their aging paused by magic. Alextrazas magic to be exact.)
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Senra Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:27 pm

There is an npc on bloodmyst that says the following when you speak to him:

"On Argus, Mac'Aree was the most sacred of our cities. Would you Believe me if I told you that the walkways were lined with precious minerals? That the rivers glittered even in complete darkness? I long for those days... How long has it been? A thousand years? Ten-thousand?"

He is Jessera of Mac'aree. Now he looks like he lost track of time, can't blame him for it. But if it was 10.000 years ago, as he says, he would be older then an elf.
Senra
Senra

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:02 am

Indeed, in this I stand corrected.
There are quests suggesting they live 10.000+ years.
After looking closer into it i found a few others I forgotten as well.
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Arukann Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:32 am

I'll second that it's a very nice guide, but I doubt some of the content.

The annoying thing is that there are so many different sources, one says Draenei are Immortal, the other says they become 300 (yes, I seriously came across someone stating that Draenei could not age beyond 300)

Either way, Arukann was born on Argus, in Mac'Aree, That would make him around his 50.000th lifeyear if I am not mistaken, Draenei that old might be rare due to warfare, but there were quite a load of them as the inhabitants of Draenor weren't kids or teenagers when they arrived, then again, I don't even know for sure if anyone stated how old the average Draenei/Eredar was when they arrived there..

It will always remain a wild guess I suppose, but good to have debate about it in here, after all, guessing is more fun in groups!

Arukann

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:50 am

Nah, there isn't many different sources.
There is only one. Blizzard, and blizzard says 25.000 no more.
Al other sources have created their own storylines.
Again, nothing wrong with that but that is the first official number.
Exactly what is "arose" is debatable, but as I already said in an older post I prefer the idea that 25.000 years ago they achieved ever lasting life and good health.

But it doesn't matter anyway, I have so far not come across a single player who played an immortal char.
Everyone play the mind of a human in a X year old Draenei body.
The reason for this is very simple, we are all humans, to us 10.000 20.000 50.000 years are only numbers we cant imagine what it would be like to live that long.
Our monkey brains simply cant handle it.
Thus we cant act it.
Many people like the idea of a timeless char.
That thought is in all of us, linked to the ever present fear of death.
But none are able to play it.

For example:
If a human speak to a 25.000 year old Dreanei.
And speak of the passage of a day, such a short time spread would be as insignificant to him as a few seconds would be to the human.
Time it self would become pointless, there would only be actions and consequence.
You do something, and you do it when its needs to be done, before its to late. To decide a day or a time would be pointless.
This blizzard refers to with the night elf's who after the war of the ancients secluded themselves in the forests losing almost all contact with the other races who fought the demons by their side.
And those who they did share the forest with viewed the elf's as pretty much gods.

Again, all these plotholes are also pointless since its a free world.
I don't like the immortal part of the dreanei story 1000 or 100.000 years, it does not matter I just don't like it.
But I simply don't create a storyline on my chars where they are that old.
And if anyone start to RP about it I don't join in, or act as if my young char simply ignore the old ways without disrespecting the elders.
But others do like it, why should I interfere with what they like? No one tries to stop me.

There are other far worse storyline ideas I have seen.
I still cant wrap my head around a night elf high priestess jumping the bones of a dreanei wandering corpse.
And not only that, manage to get pregnant. For an old time role player that's just... bad.
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Senra Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Throwing in my 2 copper:

It is rp. People can do or say what they want.

And with Draenei things are very vague. One says 30.000 years, the other says 10.000 whatever. This is a game, and the primairy goal of a game is to have fun. I don't think everything should be exactly lore correct. That takes out the fun to create things. Creativity get's you a long way.
Can't blame people for not knowing every bit of the Draenei lore, it's not the easiest and most obvious one.

After all, rp is fun. That first and foremost. Knowing the correct lore, timeline, age etc. are a sidefact for me.
Senra
Senra

Back to top Go down

Post  Alazeer Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:50 pm

I like the idea of 25,000 years ago they were at the height of their glory, so they must've lived quit a bit before that to achieve that greatness.
Alazeer
Alazeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nataari Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:31 pm

Wow, what a lively discussion our visitor has brought in Razz

First of all, very happy to hear you enjoyed browsing our forum, Io, thanks for the feedback! Its very cool to see that also non-guild related people come by and have a peek at our (far from complete Razz ) Draenei section, hehe.

To the topic, I must say that Grimsain actually brought a very interesting point up, the official page he linked indeed doesn't indicate the generally accepted fact that the Draenei already left Argus 25.000 years ago; though this fact has been commonly adapted, probably due to lack of any other numbers ever stated (up until when the Draenei landed on Draeneor)

OOCly I also follow the thought that they left Argus 25.000 ago, simply for the fact that it is the most widespread assumption, thus delivers common ground for other RPers encountered.
I actually totally agree with Alazeers opinion - of course they were existing before that, but were at the height of their power and achievement when Sargeras decided to use them for his plans. Hence I wouldn't see any issues with Draenei claiming having born long before they fled Argus

IC, it actually doesn't matter at all. Fact is, they left Argus a helluva long time ago; if you are immortal and count your lifespan in millenia, you tend to not count the years anyway; to my understanding ageless creatures have a different perception of the time passing. IC Nataari would never state a year number when talking about happenings in the distant past, or state her age in numbers (and shes not even among the oldest). I think thats a good way to deal with it, both because it makes IC sense for a Draenei, as well OOC to not stomp on the toes of other players who might follow a different perception of the timeline, or enjoy RPing a Draenei but don't care that much about studying the lore & time.

And at the end of the day Senra is right - however I disagree because I do think a basic understanding of lore and timeline is important, simply to have common ground with the players around you (if a new member would claim he was born in SWC, it would cause confusion / wouldn't fit), but how far people go into details is up to them. It's a game after all, not a science Smile And gaps / inconsitencies can be easily ignored from both sides

My 5 coppers, hehe.
Nataari
Nataari
Admin

http://lightofargus.wowrpg.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Arukann Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:54 am

I do like what this has come to now; that 25.000 years ago the Draenei started becoming imporant lorewise and thus earned their place in a timeline, convenient for Roleplayers and for me that's enough to work with, and as Senra stated so beautifully: "It is RP, people can do or say what they want" Thank you Senra, you've honestly made my day.

Arukann

Back to top Go down

Post  Grimsain Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:42 am

I truly love to see all the coppers flying around.
As you might have noticed in this thread I like discussions.
Especially if the correct answer is fairly vague but has a core of truth somewhere.

Would be fun to see even more peoples coppers, then again it would be hard to throw something new into this.
Ahaa, the next challenge!
I challenge anyone to read this thread and bring up something new in here concerning the age span of Draenei.
Grimsain
Grimsain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next